Welcome to our blog

Read up on how we are doing in India. Follow us from Kolkata to Kerala...and now back again.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Delhi at Dawn

Slightly more than seven months ago, I awoke before dawn and could not fall back to sleep for the excitement I felt exploding inside me as Jenna and I prepared to embark on our trip to India.

Likewise, Monday morning in Delhi, I awoke in the pre-dawn darkness and could not fall back to sleep. For on this day, Jenna and I were set to leave India--first traveling through Paris and then back to the US.

Instead of attempting to fall back asleep, I made my way to the rooftop terrace of our hotel and watched the sun rise over Delhi, this smoldering cauldron of humanity. (The paper today said ground-level ozone readings would be at dangerously high levels.) A haze certainly hung over the skyline, but the sun peaked out of the gray patina and lit up the muted darkness. Along the street below me, rickshaws buzzed by and a cow mooed. Smartly dressed students--looking so similar to the ones Jenna and I had taught in Kerala--stepped around the piles of cow shit on their way to school. A chaiwallah barked out pleas for passers-by to stop at his stall.

I could barely fathom the life I had led for the past seven months. And I could hardly look forward and contemplate the life Jenna and I would have in the coming days and weeks. But on this rooftop in Delhi, watching the sunrise, I knew our decision to come to India had been a good one. And I could, then, fall back to sleep.

1 comment: